Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a banner day...

One of the goals of this project is to create scalable standards that can be used for any size figure. I've been using SVG (scalable vector graphics) for a few projects at work and figured it would be a good format to use for flags. Size 'em to whatever size needed, print them off and viola! jaggie-less flags, big or small.







That was the plan, anyway. Actually, creating the flags is not difficult using the open source Inkscape program. Printing them, though, was a different matter. But the problem was not with the graphics, nor with the program. It was/is with my operating system. I've been a Linux user for years but I have always had frustrating problems with printers. Sigh... so many hours wasted. But, perseverance finally paid off. I've created a number of flags and have been searching for appropriate figures to act as ensigns This happy-go-lucky guy seemed appropriate. And while King Charles' standard does not have the fancy silky ripples, it is an SVG graphic. So if I need to print it out actual size (six feet square or so)... no problem. Assuming I can find a printer that big.

The banner project is a work in progress. But you can get an idea of where I'm headed. Many thanks to the Quindia Studio site for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment