Friday, June 13, 2008

the regiments form...

My original intention was to use 36 figures for a unit; 16 pikemen in block flanked by 8 musketeers on either side. But the more I read the more I disliked the pike component being deeper than the gunners. So I'll probably go with 8 pike in 2 rows flanked by 8 musketeers, also in 2 rows. However, there'll be a third row behind the pikeman for command and color bearers. This may contain 1 or 2 pike men since I still think 2 rows of pike just looks a little skimpy.

But just because there's a special row for commanders doesn't mean I'll keep all flags there. There are a few figures in the pike sets that are inconvenient for wargaming. One of them has his pike slung across his shoulder which means the pike sticks fairly far forward and back. This makes it hard to use the figure in a tight formation. But, he will make a grand color bearer. The other inconvenient figure hold his pike diagonally across his chest. This is just poor design work on this one. The arms are not positioned to hold the pike without putting an unsightly kink in it. In addition, it would also interfere with neighboring figures. I've decided that the only solution for this is amputation and reattachment so that the figure is holding the pike in a more upright position. The two figures in the forefront of this picture (they have feathers on their helms) show the results.

My first regiment is almost complete. I'm still twiddling around with the flags and officers but the rank and file are finished... except for flocking the bases. It wasn't until I saw the entire company assembled that I fully realized how much space this game is really going to require. Since I'm using 3x2 inch stands to mount two figures, an infantry unit will require a good 18 inches of frontage. I'm predicting 8 man cavalry units with a 6 inch frontage. Clearly I won't be playing this on my smallish dining room table.

Even though the red company is sans leaders, I've started the pikemen for the next, green, company. I originally completed two of these figures as a simple painting test. But I liked the color scheme so much I decided to use it for the entire company. Luckily, there is a Sealed Knot regiment (the  href=" of Northhampton's Regiment of Foote) that does wear green coats and red breeches (purportedly made from bolts of pillaged red cloth). Unluckily, the colors are not historically verifiable. Oh well! I also think I'll give this unit a striped green and white standard. There is scant historical evidence of that, either. It was once I got to this point that I realized there was no reason to restrict myself to ECW appearance. A bit of on-line research confirms that there was little difference between English units of the 1640s and German units of the 30 Years War. Yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment