Friday, October 22, 2021

it all comes out in the wash... er, gouache...

 A number of years ago I fished two Lifeguard trumpeters out of a $.25 box at a toy soldier show (manufacturer unknown). I painted the first one with craft acrylics, much as I've been painting figures since the '70s. Ten years later, the second one is going to be an experiment. 

Since I've grown tired of the variable quality and selection of the locally available craft paints, I decided to branch out and try some new materials and techniques. What I discovered was that some of the most highly pigmented paints are gouache paints--densely pigmented water colors available in either cakes or tubes. But... being water color paints they are easily reanimated and reworked simply by getting them wet--not like working with acrylics at all! After a few tests on 28mm figures I can not claim success but I think by learning the right techniques, practicing and experimenting, gouache may prove to have some real advantages. Particularly for large scale figures that won't undergo a lot of handling.

Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment